Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Not much ado here

This seems like a slow month. Weather-wise, I'm glad to be leaving Winter behind, yet Spring seems to taking her sweet time arriving. My irises are greening, yarrow is spring up, and the tree buds are fattening in anticipation of leafing.

Knitting-wise, I've had a slow but steady month. I finished my March Socks and started on a bonus pair. More details will be forthcoming as the socks should be done by the end of the week.

Starting April 1 (joke's on me), I will starting socks for DH. Yes, knee-high, size 12 socks! I must have in out of mind when I agreed to his request...or in love. I'm going with Love. His socks will be in Cascade Fixation which appears to be a fine sock yarn once one get the hang of knitting with stretchy cotton yarn. His socks will be black with dark brown toes. Now I've never worked with Fixation so a swatch was a definite must. Now don't you think my obvious choice would have been the brown for testing? Yep, all in agreement. Did I? Heck no!! I grabbed the black first which makes for quite impossible stitch counting. Stupid, stupid. Reached for the brown and started out with size 3s. Didn't like that so I made third swatch (remember, black was first) in size 2s. Not only did I decide that the 2s made a better fabric at 6.5 stitches per inch, but I also got lots of practice knitting with the yarn. It does take some time to determine how much tension should be used. Too much and I was fighting tight stitches, too little and the fabric flopped plus it's hard to knit without exerting a little tension to make loops.

No comments: