Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Where's all my Knitting Time?

I'm not suffering from a lack of knitting projects as seen by the abundance of needles and yarn around the house. I need more time!!

Last year, I didn't even touch needles from the start of May until the end of August. Between gardening, fishing, and having my stepkids spend part of summer with us, I just don't have the time or energy to devote to finishing up or starting new projects. I haven't even read a book in months. I will make an exception for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". I don't care what's on my agenda at the time...the book will come first. Sorry kids and hubby, you are on your own.

How's gardening cutting into my time? It doesn't help that we are about 3-4" below normal for rainfall. I think it's even bigger than than in my particular area. All newly-plants, shrubs, containers, and veggies are getting drinks from the hose. We don't have a sprinkler so I either stand there or take off the spray and let water run through the garden. I care less about the grass...it will grow back.

Kids cutting into your time? I don't think I even need to explain that one.

The problem is my darned Sock Calendar. I set it up with the best of intentions, one pair of socks a month. Since I can do a pair in about 2 weeks, a month seemed like a nice stretch of leisurely knitting. Everything was on schedule, even got a bonus pair in, until I fell down the stair. March led into April and I could hardly hold the needles for more than 5 minutes. I'm finally back on track although I have yet to start June socks and it's already to the mid-month. I know it's my calendar and I can stop at anytime, but, I need this. I'm great to start something, and can be quite a failure at finishing. I will do this because I want to, not because I need to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice comment about my shawl on KR. I know how it feels when you haven't got time for your favourite hobbies!
Ciao.
Rita.